Friday, May 18, 2012

Today’s newspaper brought frustration

Image of "Waldi" and Olympic Rings property of the IOC.

When I was ten, the first chips of innocence fell off my veneer.

Our family enjoyed watching the Olympics – seeing feats of athleticism, harrumphing over the seemingly masculine Soviet women’s teams, debating if “Waldi” – a multi-colored image of a Dachshund – was a good logo or stupid, and keeping count of medals earned. I remember being very upset watching the imposter jump into the final legs of the marathon – and seeing Frank Shorter’s confused and saddened expression as he doubted his lead.

Most of all, I remember the first time I saw hate. Eleven members of the delegation from Israel were murdered by terrorists as was a German police officer. The terrorists also were eventually killed.

Jim McKay, a recent hire by NBC, gave minute-by-minute updates on the hostage situation (aided by host of the games Chris Schenkel and a young Peter Jennings) and I’m certain I asked too many questions of my parents trying to understand what was happening. Why would anyone want to hurt the athletes? I still ask that question.

Today, on page B10 of the New York Times, Mary Pilon reports that the International Olympic Committee (IOC) has refused petitions by the government of Israel and some U.S. lawmakers that a moment of silence be observed at the games’ opening ceremony to commemorate those events of forty years ago. The request was made on behalf of widows of the fallen athletes.

As I understand the IOC’s reasoning, they believe this will politicize the Olympics; possibly offending nations that are at odds with Israel.

Call me naïve, but aren’t the Olympics supposed to be a great “hold” button from politics where delegations from all corners of the world come together to compete in a spirit of sportsmanship and unity? The logo shows interlinked multi-color rings symbolizing a “oneness” out of many. These were not only Israelis who were killed, these were athletes who belonged to the entire world. I would have hoped that the IOC would jump at the chance to defy hate by commemorating these athletes. Is there a concern that they might lose advertising revenue in certain countries?

Yes, I’m a big boy and I know that the IOC doesn’t operate above the fray (remember the bribery scandals from not that long ago?). It just would be heartening to see the IOC do the right thing in this situation.

Here’s a link to the article: Impasse Over Tribute at Olympics .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice, sit up straight, don't mumble, be kind to animals and your family.