Thursday, May 24, 2012

Kitchen Cabinet


I really like my kitchen.

Bit by bit, I’ve assembled an ensemble of colors, work surfaces, recycled cabinets, good knives, useful implements, and helpful appliances. Many good friends have been fed from the kitchen and peals of laughter helped spice each meal.

In the morning, coffee launches the day while an egg becomes the basis for an omelet or a fried egg sandwich (with mayo!). . . Though, sometimes, microwaved Lean Cuisine lasagna helps open the day. I have a big refrigerator that, despite continually opening and reopening the door, doesn’t magically create the snack I’m craving.

I’m guessing that close to 1,000 people have been fed from this kitchen over the last 10 years. Everything from vegetarian paella to home-sourced venison has been on the menu. Usually, there is wine; often there is good wine.

I have this in my life because I got to see some amazing kitchens while visiting friends and potential contributors (I’ve spent the last 18 years helping match donors with the needs of charities). Being exposed to some amazing kitchens inspired me. I certainly do not have the resources to duplicate many of the amazing features – but, I do have some resourcefulness and pluck.

The stainless island centering the kitchen? From a used restaurant equipment supply house. The maple block counter? From a reclaimed lumber source. The range and hood? Both from close out sources. I also have the good fortune of having a mother whose entrepreneurial history includes a catering business – knives, pans, chafers, pots . . . thanks mom!

This really isn’t bragging – I promise. This is more an allegory for something I’ve come to discover. Let someone see and feel what success is like, and they have a better chance to achieve it.

Right now, I’m working with some friends to take an accidentally novel and successful concept with our pharmacy students and translating it to a broader audience. A high-end clothing store (I’d say the name, but I haven’t checked with them) allows us to bring students in and dress them in professional clothing. A short “fashion show” ensues. Seeing the physical transformation in the students once dressed in professional clothing is amazing: shoulders back, chest out, standing tall.

So, let’s try to bring this to broader range of young people who may never have thought they had a chance. Let’s show, at least at an introductory level, some teens what success looks like.

Now, I’m certain that this can be criticized as imposing a view of success that may not be shared by all but, hey, give me a better idea. I’ll take it.

Our plan is to roll this out in some mid-western urban centers. Want to help?

So here’s what I decided some time ago: Make a decision to make a difference in the world. It doesn’t require great resources, a pedigree, celebrity, or any particular brilliance. It is will. It is noticing things that can be better and taking action. Maybe, it means helping an elderly neighbor; taking a minute to listen to someone whose story needs to be told; allowing a young person to a taste success.

I learned a lot from seeing some great kitchens; what can we teach from showing others some opportunities?

2 comments:

  1. this is precisely how I feel in my role with Pi Phi as an advisor!! I am amazed at what these young collegians give ME when I am with them!! NEVER did I imagine I would feel this good or blessed by being an advisor!! Such an incredible opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynda! Absolutely! And congratulations and thanks to you for helping those young women!

      Delete

Please be nice, sit up straight, don't mumble, be kind to animals and your family.