Thursday, January 7, 2021

My friend died today

My friend John died today.

He’d been hospitalized for a couple months (at least) due to complications from COVID-19. Likely, he was exposed to the virus during a trip from his Texas residence back to his roots in Michigan – traveling through upper Michigan and also portions of Indiana.

Before John was unable to communicate (I understand his last couple weeks were in an induced coma on a respirator), he sent me a note through the Facebook portal:

Well... Still here. This is going to be a long haul, but I have turned the corner. The weekend was Very dicey. Was “prayed over” by a nurse - perhaps my most evangelical moment - and got a miracle. Lots of work ahead, but “rumors of my demise...” This was one trip I’m glad I missed you. You. Don’t. Want. This.

Typical John – expressing concern for me.

I imagine by now, many of those reading this have lost someone or have had a close encounter with the ill effects of the virus. Thus, I don’t pretend to be the first mourner from this pandemic.

My first memory of John was my freshman year at Hillsdale. I earned admission into Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia – a music honorary on campus. Our initiation was held about 30 miles away at another campus so that there would be enough members to sing the ritual. John’s looming bass voice still brings a smile. The heck with the “Three Tenors” . . . give me the one bass voice that I loved.

John and I shared a hometown (Monroe, Michigan) and we’d visit once or twice a year via telephone or over a lunch somewhere in southeast Michigan. John had conquered his problems with alcohol over 25 years ago – I don’t think he’d mind me mentioning this.

John’s passions and talents were for sacred music. He wrote, arranged, directed, sang . . . and had advanced education in this field. Backing up John’s passion were his deep emotional and intellectual connections to his Lutheran faith. Some of my best memories were when we (me - a bit of a fallen Catholic – OK, bit is too mild!) would playfully spar over that discontented monk with a hammer and demands. I so respected John’s connection to his faith.

Good night, John. Godspeed.

2 comments:

Please be nice, sit up straight, don't mumble, be kind to animals and your family.