Tuesday, April 17, 2018

RIP Mrs. Bush



I’m more than a little surprised how much First Lady Barbara Bush’s death has affected me. I never met her. I thought she was bright and witty; a passionate advocate; a voice of reason that cut through the political fog; a kind woman who cared for her family and worked tirelessly for literacy efforts.

The tributes on Facebook and Twitter repeat accolades such as grace, dignity and strength and cite her as “fierce & feisty in support of her family” (Bill Clinton) and “recognizing the importance of literacy as a fundamental family value” (Donald Trump) and “as an example of the humility and decency that reflects the very best of the American spirit” (Barack Obama).

Dying at ninety-two is certainly no tragedy – hell, it was a great run! 

I’m thinking that my reaction comes from the recurrent mention of her grace and dignity. I don’t think these two attributes are well represented any more in our country. I think that they are the exception rather than the rule. 

We celebrate “in your face” behavior and applaud the disruptive. Shouting down or creating violent situations for speakers with whom we disagree is “normal.” Petitioning that points of view be squelched because we don’t agree is becoming sadly common. Intimidation of disparate thinkers the norm (and I am including all sides of the political spectrum with these lamentations).

I wish that grace and dignity like hers would continue to influence our society – but, alas, I fear there are few such champions remaining.

Rest in peace Mrs. Bush.



Image of Mrs. Bush from Getty Images.

4 comments:

Please be nice, sit up straight, don't mumble, be kind to animals and your family.