Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Day



I can write this post – with provocative or idiotic verbiage – because people have, through history, fought wars.

War sucks – no question, no debate. Anyone in the 21st century who believes that there are people who are “pro-war” may be an ideologue looking for villains or simply seeking outrage. As an aside, I know many people who spend life looking to be outraged . . . I’m probably a simpleton. I go through life looking to be elated.

Too many men and women have had to give their lives because they believe in our nation, our families, and our liberties. Our Constitution reacts against the tyrannical rule of Europe and gives citizens a broad range of powers over their own destiny. With control over our destiny, comes responsibility. That is, admittedly, a tough equation.

There are many things that a collective can do better than an individual . . . I believe that there is a danger when everything is assigned to the collective. But, I rant.

There are so many men and women (I haven’t found a confident total, but clearly, the number is higher than some state populations) who have lost their lives in wars in the cause of our great nation. All I can do is say “thank you.”

A good friend is taking her WWII veteran father on an “Honor Flight” to see the World War II memorial in Washington, DC. Of the nicer elements offered these heroes will be a “mail call” as they are flying home. I can picture some amazingly grizzled veterans on this flight in full weep as they relive the joy delivered by letters from home. I was welcomed to write one of these letters and never have had happier duty.

Look, there are many things that need attention and we may respectfully disagree on what that attention should be. I argue that there is no question that the men and women who serve our country deserve our thanks, praise and celebration.


Image reported to be in the public domain and can be found at:
http://www.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_image_pages/0420-0907-2111-0047.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice, sit up straight, don't mumble, be kind to animals and your family.