Tuesday, October 4, 2011

There is a welcome weirdness afoot

Yellow Tomato Flowers by Glenda Green

September oriented the farm to the coming bitters: cold rains, cutting wind, broken trees and browning crops. October, so far, belies this trend. A week of sun and temperate climes has confused some remaining tomato vines into new buds.

Logic says that these buds have no shot at fruition. It won’t be two weeks before a jealous frost cuts the hope from the vine and withers the annuals. Or so logic tells us to expect.

The Detroit Lions will do well in the pre-season then lose their first four games – history tells us so.

Boston and Atlanta will sweep into the Major League playoffs and challenge for the crown – or so the experts say.

Politicians always have an eye on the next election or the higher office – until one says “it’s not my time.”

Over the last few years, without it being apparent to me, I’ve had a bit of a reorientation. It is as though I’ve shed layers of deep-rooted cynicism like snake skin. I kept my expectations low so as to not risk frustration, hurt, and betrayal.

About a year ago, I came across this quote from C.S. Lewis:

"Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket--safe, dark, motionless, airless--it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable."

On its face, the quote makes a logical case to prevent hurt and vulnerability – and I can attest to its veracity with the hurt I felt losing the Black Dog – for whom the blog is titled.

But, ya know? There is no sense going through life, to borrow from another great English writer T.S. Eliot, “Like a patient etherized upon a table.” When you stub your toe it should hurt. When you touch a hot pot, it should burn. When you cry it should reflect your raw emotions – be they joy or agony. And when you laugh, it should enliven all who hear.

I’m a lucky guy to live in a place that keeps me honest, holds me accountable, and challenges my cynicism. So, if tomato vines dare optimism, so shall I.


Flowering tomato vine photo reported to be in the public domain and can be found at:  http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.php?image=16525&picture=yellow-tomato-flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice, sit up straight, don't mumble, be kind to animals and your family.