Tuesday, September 27, 2011

What hero has changed your life?



Take a second. Who are the teachers, mentors, friends – accidental acquaintances – who changed how you think, challenged your values, and made you better?

These are the small “H” heroes. They may not have capes, masks, or six-shooters. They may not be among the widely acknowledged capital “H” heroes who serve in our military or in service to the public welfare (and yes, often not widely acknowledged enough). Your life may have been saved, altered, redirected, enhanced, affected, humbled – bettered – because the small “H” heroes came into your life.

In my personal scan, I can name several people – and have acknowledged some in this enterprise. I’d like to tell you about one gentleman who taught me that joy exists.

Bob came to work early every day. His uniform was always pressed; his hat worn a bit too low on his head. He had thick glasses, was often difficult to understand, but wanted to please. Bob was about 35 years old, African American and had Down syndrome.

I had been given charge of the warehouse and fleet operations for the equipment distribution division during my tenure at Domino’s Pizza.  We stocked and shipped ovens, uniforms, pizza peels, and promotional items – anything that wasn’t food and was necessary for the pizza stores. It really was a plum job as the quality of the warehouse team, the delivery and service drivers (I had a rule against using the term “truck driver”), and the technicians was such that my role was to provide tools and resources and stay out of the way. Hence, I had some time to research additional ways to fulfill our mission – one that included being an example of a business a community would treasure.

Enter Bob. Through a service organization in Washtenaw County, there was an initiative to place adults with disabilities into jobs. Job coaches would be present during the first week or so of the placement and then come back periodically to check on the individual’s progress.

As an aside, I’m certain that among the job coach’s most important functions was to teach people like me that disabilities were not contagious – that I wouldn’t, through contact with these men and women, somehow “catch” Down syndrome. Yes, I admit idiocy.

Bob was placed with us mid-summer in the late 1980s. His orientation seemed to go well – he was to assist our technicians in our used equipment division (these magicians would refurbish pizza ovens, coolers, etc. for resale to stores with limited cash flow). He was charged with sweeping, emptying trash bins, and generally being that extra hand needed during the course of business.

After the first week, Bob’s coach stopped coming into work with him.

The ensuing Monday, I happened to be on the warehouse floor and didn’t see Bob. None of the technicians had seen him – I'm embarrassed to say that we too quickly assumed that without a coach, Bob wouldn’t be a productive part of our team.

Coffee got the best of me and I headed to (well) the head. In the restroom was Bob – smartly ironed, hat too low, and seemingly frozen. I’m pretty sure the conversation went this way:

“Hi Bob, are you coming out to sweep today?”

“My coach isn’t here.”

“That means you can do it on your own.”

“I can?”

“Yes, you have my permission”

I’d never received such a heartfelt and spontaneous hug prior and haven’t since. And, he went off to work.

That became part of the morning ritual – he would seek me out; I’d tell him he could do it; he’d hug me.

Two weeks later, Bob’s first paycheck was delivered to my office. It seemed appropriate to call the team together to present this check. We assembled near the reception area and I asked Bob’s immediate supervisor to bring him to us.

Without undue fanfare, I presented Bob with his check. Did you know that there was such a thing as a paycheck dance? I learned it that day and will never forget its exuberance and joy.

Someone asked, “What will you do with your check?"

Bob, with immediate and certain voice said, “I’m taking my mom to dinner.”

There wasn’t a dry eye present – and two are tearing as I write. Thank you Bob.

For information about Down syndrome, see:  http://www.ndss.org/index.php

1 comment:

Please be nice, sit up straight, don't mumble, be kind to animals and your family.