Sunday, September 25, 2011

Blessings and Calories

Tomorrow, I will begin my fifty-first year. I find it remarkably unremarkable in terms of self-assessment and personal world view. No angst, no feeling that I’ve lost my youth – instead, a happy calm and excitement for the future.

I think I know why.

With no formal birthday celebration planned, quite a number of friends reached out with invitations to gather and mark the occasion while sharing a meal.  This past Wednesday, I had a delightful evening downtown Ann Arbor with Bruce and Laurie (Martinis, Mussels, Scallops, Wine).  Since then, I’ve had a social schedule Paris Hilton would envy.

Thursday, I shared dinner with Don (NY Strip, Wine), Friday morning saw Rich, Jeff, Lori, Betty, Brad - colleagues from around the University – gather with me for breakfast (Eggs Benedict, Birthday Cupcakes) and well wishes. Friday dinner (Lobster) with Frank, Bev, Grant, Anne, Mark, and Don was followed with an afterglow in the party barn where Curt joined us (Assorted Stinky Cheeses and Wine).

After an energizing field trip with some of our students Saturday morning, I returned to the farm to await Vicki – a friend since 1979 who drove up from Cleveland. Vicki brought a key lime cake, a sassy dip, and the well wishes of my adoptive family back in Ohio. Oh, and if you get to the farm, you will likely notice a new sign! During the day we watched Michigan post a victory (Taramosalata, Crackers, Beer).  Over dinner (Martinis, Lamb, Potatoes, Garden Veggies, Cake, Silver Oak!), we remembered many friends from years gone by and laughed more than a little too loudly!

Today, Sunday 9/25, I was hosted by friends at their home in Dexter, MI for lunch (Enchiladas, Taco Salad, Corn Salad, Fruit, Carrot Cake, Wine). Looking around the table at Craig, Denise, Jack, Dianne, Patty, Vicki, Bruce, and Laurie it started to really sink in how blessed I am with so many incredible friends. Adding another layer of happy is the barrage of well wishes hitting the FB page, the cards arriving from throughout the country, and the phone calls reminding me that, like George Bailey, I'm the richest man in the world.

Tomorrow, breakfast with Mom (Bob Evans – what do you think, sausage gravy?), followed later by a gathering of bandits I’ve gotten to know at my “stop on the way home” place on the west side of Ann Arbor – while I asked for mercy (please, don’t bring a cake), I think my call will go unheeded. I have plans to see other friends on Tuesday evening, Thursday evening, and hopefully through next weekend. Also, I'm anticipating all the reunions scheduled the weekend of October 7th at my undergraduate homecoming events.

I truly am blessed with the friendship and love of many wonderful people.  "It's the thought that counts" is a true, true statement.  I hope every reader can identify with this feeling.

There is one gift I should have put on the wish list: a new belt. This one is getting a bit snug.

UPDATE:  Big smiles from happy hour with the bandits - Linda, Greg, Melissa, George, Danny, Pam, Tammy, Howard, Dave - and my other friends who joined the fray:  Elaine, Paul, Fanny, Sonia, Karen, Heidi.  Oh, and we noshed well (Bruschetta, Ribs, Tapenade, Cabernet and Chocolate Cake)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice, sit up straight, don't mumble, be kind to animals and your family.