Monday, October 10, 2011

How does your garden grow?


Today, it was time to retire the spent garden citizens in preparation of the overwinter plantings. I’ve only done garlic in the past, but some quick research has offered some additional options: certain onion varieties, asparagus (I did put about 20 crowns earlier this year and hope to be cutting spears in the spring!), a couple of types each of peas and lettuce, and spinach.

And, yes, I remember extolling the hopeful tomato buds – I think the lesson of optimism still holds despite my brutish exporting to the compost pile.

The garlic did get planted and, this weekend, the horseradish will start its condiment career (probably time to get another standing rib roast for the horseradish to mock!). I do think I will investigate some of the other options for a winter garden.

All of this done in happy solitude on a day taken as vacation because this past weekend – Hillsdale’s Homecoming – was a marathon of laughter, reunion, grilling, and an experience just short of bacchanalia (everyone can, to my knowledge, still tell their mothers all we did!).  I needed a day to stow everything from the rented RV and get within a week of having the laundry done in addition to the garden duties.

At Hillsdale, I got to visit with so many wonderful people and meet several more at the various activities around campus and while “judging” the first ever tailgate competition. I qualify the word judging as my partner in crime, Al, and I schemed this as a way to have a taste from everyone’s offerings! You’ll see in the picture, a certain uniform gave us "credibility." And, kudos to Al for his creative use of number 10 cans, duct tape, and an old colander to fashion a trophy.

The competition hadn’t been announced in advance – we actually only thought of it about 3 weeks ago.  I do, however, believe that there will be several groups bringing their A game next year. The winners were a group of alumnae from 1975 who were sorority sisters and had blown up their senior pictures and mounted them on sticks as part of their décor. And, the bacon-wrapped water chestnuts were excellent.  There truly was more than a few worth noting - perhaps several honorable mentions may be in order next year?

A band that had charted well in the late 60s and early 70s, The Grass Roots, headlined the annual tent party. Among their top 10 hits were Midnight Confessions and Let’s Live for Today. While great fun for us in the AARP group, the real energy was earlier in the tent. Various dormitories, Greek houses, and athletic teams staged a Mock Rock competition that brought down the house (well, tent).

As I listened to the students' music – without any chance of recognizing artists or song titles – I got to watch young men and women have more fun than anyone can imagine. The groups performing were more polished than I expected and the decibels of support from the crowd were remarkable. The energy both stunned and inspired.

Maybe it’s part of this experience that has me (anthropomorphism alert) sympathetic for those stalks who now live on the compost pile. And very likely why I’m intent on extending this year’s growing season. Personal vibrancy – much like a garden – requires ongoing nurture and, sometimes, trying some new plantings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice, sit up straight, don't mumble, be kind to animals and your family.