Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Ring!


The phone at the farm doesn’t ring very often.

That is neither good nor bad – just an observation. My work day has a reasonable amount of telephone time – no match for the emails, they remain steady up until late afternoon then lose their frequency. I’ll see 8-10 text messages a week.

The students have begun returning to Ann Arbor for the 2011-2012 academic year. Sure, there is a handful underfoot through the summer, but the real barrage started today – evidence: the growing traffic snarls on Hill, State, South University, and Liberty Streets. On an errand for work, I completely drew on 20 years of Ann Arbor driving experience, added ¾ of a mile to my trip and cut 15 minutes (he says smugly).

The thing that amazes me when I see the students is that they are always either talking on their phones or sending text messages. There are students who blindly step into the street while texting – I think deer show more developed survival skills when crossing the road. It is not unusual while walking back to the office from lunch (most likely from the Brown Jug – my frequent restaurant de choix) to pass some 30 or 40 students – all of whom talking or texting on their phones.

To whom are they speaking and texting? And what is the pressing commentary that must be shared constantly? In an earlier post, I admitted my Luddite tendencies, but I’m at a loss to understand the need for constant (insidious?) communication.

There were some recent news reports that some people manage to send 30,000+ texts monthly (or more!). I wonder if offering a running commentary on life threatens living one’s life; if the need to virtually connect will discount the joy of face-to-face connection; if living life through pixels on a screen will preempt the sights, sounds, smells, and face of the natural world.

Oh, sure, I admit a bit of drama in this observation. I do, however, believe in the restorative powers of solitude, in the comfort of silence, and the necessity of keeping some things to oneself. I also admit the irony (a much nicer word than hypocrisy) of bemoaning electronic communication whilst blogging.

Sigh, I wish the phone would ring.

(Special thanks to www.graphicshunt.com for the emoticon)

4 comments:

  1. Well said Peter, I couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worry about the face to face social skills that are not being honed. Maybe that will become a moot point in the future but there is something to be said for reading facial expressions as part of a conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great school year.

    ReplyDelete

Please be nice, sit up straight, don't mumble, be kind to animals and your family.