Sunday, August 7, 2011

Hopeful seeds

The combines have been collecting wheat that was planted last fall.  None of my property is in wheat this year, but I pass by a couple of fields nearly daily.  What looks like a newly seeded lawn March – June soon becomes the “amber waves of grain” come August.

This weekend, I got to be around three very different young men headed to their first year of college: one, to the Citadel, the other two to the University of Michigan.  I’m fairly certain that none know each other, but there was a commonality that struck me:   the glimmer of excitement in each young man’s eyes.  If eyes could talk, “let’s get going – I want to start” was the message.

Daniel, the youngest son of some of my longest standing friends (I am careful not to say “oldest friends”), his father and I played golf in Dundee, Michigan on Saturday morning.  The course is a nine hole, wonderfully maintained, moderately challenging, family owned gem.  Jim, Daniel’s father, and I were in kindergarten together and he honored me by asking me to stand has his best man.  During the round, I rode shotgun with Daniel who is a very good golfer – I am not.  I did, however, manage to thread an approach shot between two mature elms, over a cedar, and near the green.  Feeling pretty good about my shot, I walked to the cart – Daniel said, “you hit it a little fat.”  He was right.

Connor, the oldest son of a couple I’ve come to know and admire these last ten years, greeted me at his graduation/going away party with a hearty handshake and million lumen smile.  He’s already started classes over the summer with hopes of getting ahead of the game come fall.  I know Connor the least among these young men, but what impressed me was that nearly every teammate of a peewee squad of Connors came to the party.

When John was born, a friend and I found a Red Rider BB gun to give as a baby gift . . . I’m fairly certain that to the extent that John’s father was pleased, John’s mother was displeased.  Such began my “uncledom” with John.   I’ve had the pleasure of seeing this fine young man discover many of his talents and, perhaps more impressively, areas where he needs to focus.  He’s a strapping young man with every opportunity within reach.  I’ll miss him while he is in Charleston.

I’m happy to report that we are once again planting quality seeds this fall. . .while the potential harvest won’t be ready in one spring, I invite readers to share my pride, anticipation, and optimism that these young men are part of a great future for our communities.  Good luck, study hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice, sit up straight, don't mumble, be kind to animals and your family.