Monday, August 29, 2011

Grassroots civility

This is a suggestion I’m making to myself.

Some context: it seems that vitriol’s volume will not decrease as we come into this next election cycle. Collectively, each party – the lefts, the rights, the centrists, the tea party, the green party, etc. – have as much mud on their hands as their faces.

As Internet users, how many of us receive the various “gotcha” emails and how many do we forward? Celebration of YouTube videos (going “viral”) seems directly proportional to the level of cynicism with which they portray candidates and office holders. “Turn down the rhetoric,” seems to be code for “the other guys should shut up because we are right and they are stupid.” Whole groups of people are dismissed ad hominem because their views differ from our own (or those of the comedian de jour).

Yes, there are deep disagreements on the nation’s direction. I remember Tip O’Neill was Speaker of the House when Ronald Reagan was President. Publicly, they had some amazing quips about each other (O’Neill on Reagan: “Herbert Hoover with a smile.” Reagan on O’Neill: “[he is like Pac-Man], a round thing that gobbles up money".) But in President Reagan’s memoir, he describes their private relationship as always cordial - saying that they were friends after “6 pm.”

I worry that there isn’t even that "after 6 pm" collegiality any more – not only among the politicos, but also among us.

So, here’s my challenge to myself: for the entire election cycle, do not forward any “gotcha” emails, do not make broad indictments, encourage discussion by first listening, offer opinions when asked, expect that I can learn from everyone.

Even if I am 100% successful in my challenge, it may or may not affect the national debate . . . that still isn’t a reason not to try. Maybe, just maybe, it can affect three or four people who might inspire others.

Tomorrow, I'll have lunch with someone different.

1 comment:

  1. I really like what you believe on this front Pete! I will endeavor to do the same.

    ReplyDelete

Please be nice, sit up straight, don't mumble, be kind to animals and your family.