Friday, October 14, 2016

Vote or Vomit.


I am embarrassed by the current presidential political campaign. Embarrassed as an American; embarrassed as a world citizen; embarrassed as a human being.

We, the voting public, are only receiving pitches from the candidates alleging the baseness of the other. There is no – none, zero, naught, nothing – that tells us how the hopeful candidate plans to govern. “He disrespects women” “She’s corrupt and only wants power.”

As a kid – kindergarten aged, in fact – I shook hands with Hubert Humphrey. Mr. Humphrey was Lyndon Johnson’s vice president and stumping through Michigan as the Democratic hopeful for the 1968 presidential election. Riverside School, aptly named as it sat near the banks of the Raisin River, was a photo op for some reason during the the 1968 campaign. I really don’t remember Mr. Humphrey, but that he landed in a helicopter was pretty impressive to this 7 year old photo prop.

A fun irony – he was the only person to serve as vice-president whose profession was pharmacist . . . I’m nearing 15 years at U-M’s College of Pharmacy.

I wish I was merely disgusted with this presidential race. I’m saddened. I am sad that out of 300 million citizens we are cursed with a decision to make between two megalomaniacs.

I love my country. I believe that it is the best republic in the history of the world; it is the “shining city on the hill” whose beacon of liberty and freedom is an example to the world. I’m not naïve – we’ve had some awful mistakes during our history and those mistakes forever remain as our original sin. I do, however, laud and celebrate so many accomplishments of the men and women of this great nation.

I had the chance to attend a presidential inauguration. Talk about an opportunity to celebrate our nation, the peaceful transfer of power assured by our Constitution, and to be part of the great American history. The fireworks that evening were stunning and viewed through happy tear filled eyes. I don't think the coming inauguration offers the same inspiration.

Who knows who will win? I almost wish neither. This will be a hard vote to cast.

God Bless America. God Save America.






Image, as awful as it is, from: https://drawception.com/game/8cckshYtRZ/hug-ticket-good-for-one-free-hug/

5 comments:

  1. I had an interesting conversation about the election with Andrew the other night. I told him I felt sorry, that as his and Therese's first presidential election they are eligible to vote, that this was such an ugly one. Two very divisive major party candidates and loud, blubbering apologists on the major news feeds. Yucckkk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. The decision becomes a little easier for me when I consider the election'season likely impact on our future Supreme Court. But, only a little bit easier...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. The decision becomes a little easier for me when I consider the election's likely impact on our future Supreme Court. But, only a little bit easier...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed. The decision becomes a little easier for me when I consider the election's likely impact on our future Supreme Court. But, only a little bit easier...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed. The decision becomes a little easier for me when I consider the election'season likely impact on our future Supreme Court. But, only a little bit easier...

    ReplyDelete

Please be nice, sit up straight, don't mumble, be kind to animals and your family.