Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Zen and the Art of Tractor Maintenance


The tractor awaiting rescue
The firearm deer hunting season has been fruitful at the Bog with six deer taken and similar reports from the neighbor farms. The ensuing packaged venison manifests as tenderloin, roasts, breakfast sausage, and cubed or ground meat for chili and other comfort foods. The farmers in the area encourage the hunters to buy and fill additional doe tags to help mitigate substantial crop damage from these ruminants.

This morning, my pals Craig and Jack came knocking at 6 am – Jack bearing his wife Diane’s homemade apple bread and a frozen tenderloin from the deer he took here on opening day. Craig brought breakfast sandwiches. I made the coffee.

We went afield, each to separate blinds/stands, and enjoyed a rosy sunrise punctuated by pheasant cackles, Mallard quacks, and complaining crows. This being the sixth day of the season, not many shots were heard from adjacent acres and our crew was silent. None of us saw deer one, but no complaints as the morning offered that crisp fall experience in the woods that keeps us coming back.

Craig’s obligations had him leave a bit early . . . Jack and I sat on stand until about noon. We unloaded our guns and stowed packs into the six-wheeler and headed back to the house. Along the way, I mentioned that I needed some help attaching the brush hog to the Bog’s newest addition: a 1957 John Deere Model 620. I’m a foster parent to this classic as it was a friend’s deceased father’s tractor – she is moving out of state and wanted this family treasure on a farm and in use. Jack is a sucker for an old tractor.
Jack triaging the old beauty

It took about 20 minutes to attach the brush hog and I fired up the old beauty and set off to mow some lanes around the blinds.

There is an indescribable feeling one gets piloting a tractor older than himself around his farm on a crisp, sunny November day. I know I had my best silly smile beaming.

About 40 minutes into the caper, the old Deere sputtered and I quickly shut her down. I figured it was running out of gas and didn’t want to risk the 50+ year old dregs of the tank polluting the engine. Jack had followed me down to the south end of the property in the six-wheeler and we zipped back to the barn and collected some gasoline. The tractor was quickly refueled. Problem solved? Nope.

She would crank, fire up, but not remain running. We noticed that the glass bell (part of the fuel system on the old girl) was only partly filled – a clear sign that gas wasn’t getting to the engine. After fiddling about with the bell, we saw that the gasket was shot and needed replacing. Fortunately, a small family-owned tractor vendor is about 5 miles away. The gasket cost $0.78. I think I spent $1.85 in gas on the round trip.

The bell
Gasket replaced, all connections tightened. Still, no luck . . . engine fires, doesn’t stay running.

Draining the carburetor, we see some really “varnishy” gas expel initially, but with ongoing attempts, clean gasoline comes through the drain.

We’re stumped and we tow the tractor back up to the barnyard. Tomorrow, I shall replace spark plugs and potentially rebuild the carburetor.

The vacation days I’m using to hunt and do some other life maintenance activities coupled with weekends and the holiday, have me out of the office for 12 straight days – a rare occurrence. I will say that being a guest of history while trying to get this old tractor running is as enjoyable as any fancy trip I could have booked.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice, sit up straight, don't mumble, be kind to animals and your family.