Tuesday, June 19, 2012

How does your garden grow? (part II)





I spent about a half hour weeding my little garden this evening. Warmer temperatures and a fairly regular watering regime have combined for some early harvests and plenty of promise for the coming weeks.

This year’s inventory includes a couple of dozen garlic plants (cloves sown last October; have already cut the flowers off!), broccoli, potatoes (I gave up trying to keep them covered they were growing so fast), two varieties of peppers, kale, tomatoes, onions, “Ruby” and romaine varieties of leaf lettuce, horseradish, and, for the first time, I put about 20 gladiola bulbs down the center of the rows hoping for a great splash of color in August.

In pots, I have the proverbial parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme (not intentional, I promise!) and various annual flowers in the corner of the north deck.

Back in the wildlife area, white pine and spruce trees planted in 2008 are finally peeking over the pervasive and tall reed canary grass. A group of friends and I planted about 200 seedlings one misty October weekend – I’m guessing about 75 or so have made it.

“Elephant” sunflowers were planted in late May in the fields on the north and south sides of the house – but have yet to make an appearance. A conversation with my farmer neighbor this morning left us both hopeful but concerned.

The southernmost field is full of emerging corn – about shin high. With a bit more rain, there should be no problem scraping knees on July 4.

The early heat and late frosts have neutered my peach trees this year and may have knocked back apple production as well. Somehow, it looks like one of the cherry trees may bear fruit.

The place is rife with woodchucks, chipmunks, a myriad of song birds, herons, cranes, and amphibians and reptiles of various stripes. Nearly every evening, I can see deer wading in the upper pond. Occasionally, a Ringneck pheasant complains about something and, for the first time, wild turkeys have joined the fray. I need to shore up part of the big barn’s foundation.

So far this year, I’ve had the privilege of hosting 70 - 80 friends here for various gatherings and look forward to a score or two more.

The state of the farm seems just fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice, sit up straight, don't mumble, be kind to animals and your family.