Monday, November 10, 2014

Thanks Veterans!



"Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a
strong desire to live taking the form of readiness to die." --G.K. Chesterton

Veterans’ Day is tomorrow. I don’t know about you, but I try very hard to say, “Thank you” to every veteran I encounter – and, somewhat regularly, I have to suppress a tear while doing so.

My father was in the United States Navy and I had a grandfather who served in World War I. My nephew graduated from West Point and served in Afghanistan. I’ve met many veterans from WWII, Viet Nam, and the Middle East. My other grandfather actively supported the war effort as a civilian.

Some of my contemporaries served (thanks Howard, Souther, John, Craig, Allen, Pat and anyone whose name doesn't immediately leap out to me!); and I actually know some former members of Congress who don’t bemoan their support for our troops in some unpopular global conflicts.

I’m the last person who can justify or condemn military action – mostly because I wouldn’t want to be the person who has to make the call. I admire every veteran.

I pray for the safety of our men and women who are active in the service of our Country. Thank you.

I guess if I’m going to opine – I ask that those who send our sons and daughters into harm’s way: please also give the local commanders the ability to make decisions; please give our troops the resources they need.

Thank you Vets!





Chesteron Quote found at:


Image reported to be in the public domain and available here:
http://crazywebsite.com/Pg-Free-Clipart-Graphics/pg-Historic_Memorial_Day_Art_Cards/United_States_Patriotic_Art_Card_Memorial_Day-002_jpg.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice, sit up straight, don't mumble, be kind to animals and your family.