Monday, July 8, 2013

Did the Magi consider a cannon?



Has anyone ever done something for you that changed your life? It was the perfect thing at the perfect time? Maybe it brought you back from the brink?

Hollywood writers seem to create exceptional depictions of friend/friend or lover/lover or spouse/spouse instances where the perfect thing was executed. Characters ready to cash in their chips are revived by the quirky, the romantic, the thoughtful, and the unbelievably well-timed.

Over this weekend, I had the chance to celebrate our 237th birthday with a number of wonderful folks. We had lamb on the spit, a smoked whole hog, two bands, and likely a world record “flip cup” competition along a sixty yard dock.

One of my biggest giggles came from a big boom – two actually. My friends Brent and Jennifer brought their cannon. Yes, I said cannon.

Perhaps some context would be helpful.

I met these two through some mutual friends and I immediately knew they were quality folk. She teaches fourth graders; he is a genius at restaurant construction and remodeling. Through numerous Facebook postings, there is no question how much they enjoy life, each other, and taking pictures of their feet in the sand! I’m beyond jealous – I’m inspired!

Last Christmas, Brent gave Jennifer a cannon. I’m pretty sure it didn’t come in a classic Tiffany blue box.

BOOM!

The cannon is about 18 inches tall, 24 inches long and has carriage wheels. The ramrod packs black powder and wadding – no projectiles are inserted through the muzzle – the goal is noise, not destruction.

The first volley welcomed the evening’s feature band; the second bid the setting sun goodbye. Both required palms pressed over ears and both were felt as well as heard. Brent shared that these were shots 15 and 16 through the bronze beauty.

I’m off topic (due to cannon envy!). Back to my point – what was a perfect gift you received just as you needed it? Who was it from? How did it feel? I invite you to use the comment section – maybe it’s contrary to “writing” a blog, but I want to hear your stories.

BOOM!

Oh, and I think I can guess what Jennifer would write!

2 comments:

  1. The perfect gift was a warm coat for my birthday given by my husband. Green puffy looking with a hood. I was always cold, but thought a coat was a coat. Mark (hubby) being from Indiana and Michigan, knew better. He researched and purchased a coat that insulates even when the wind chill is below zero. I've had the coat close to 15 years and still love it. The coat is warm and still warms my heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! And, as much as the coat warms you, I know that Mark enjoyed researching and stalking the perfect coat for you!

      Delete

Please be nice, sit up straight, don't mumble, be kind to animals and your family.