Monday, April 15, 2013

Marathon Madness


Can we not go to first grade? Can we not attend the movies? Can we not walk peaceably around college campuses? Can we not run a race?

Can we not confidently say to our loved ones “see you later” as they venture forth to their daily lives?

I can’t wrap my head around today’s terrorism. As of the freshest reports I can find, two bombs detonated and two more were discovered. One witness said: "Somebody's leg flew by my head."*

I do not have a direct connection to this marathon – though, I do know a gentleman who won the race in the past (a good guy) – but my real connection is that this is my country, my people, my fellow citizens. I don’t care if I’m called a jingoist, but I’m mad.

This may feel as though it brings us past the tipping point – do we need to be wary when in big crowds – do sacred spaces no longer exist? Should everyone be strip-searched? Are the airport protocols necessary for daily errands? Do we give up?

Screw it. Do not be afraid. Do not let “them” win. Lift your chin and give those who will seek to victimize us a mighty “ F___ Y___.” Remember the thousands of races, the millions of classroom days and the non-stop campus walks that happen daily without incident. They can't win. They can’t destroy our security and our lives.

Cowards detonate bombs from afar and lift arms against the undefended. Today’s perpetrators are cowards . . . those who died and the dozens suffering maiming injuries have our prayers and our determination for vengeance. Our brothers and sisters deserve our prayers and our actions.

Let us pray. Let us act.






Image report to be in the public domain

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comments, I share your sentiments


    Mark Smith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark. . . I feel as though I traded eloquence to accommodate anger.

      Delete
  2. Let's just say you were eloquently angry.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The scene today is horrific, but consider a larger point. In order for any nation to survive, it must procreate. Couples in any country must bear an average of 2.1 children for a country to continue to exist. All of Western Europe is below the required number, including Great Britain. However, the Moslem populations in those countries are exploding, averaging well above 2.1. In the US we too are doomed, unless we count the Mexicans, who will keep America alive and Christian. Islam will soon rule in all the free countries, except for the US, where Americans might survive and remain Christian thanks to all those illegal aliens we love to complain about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I did my part. 5 beautiful kids, and 3 Grandkids, with one on the way. I hear you though, comeon people start procreating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Outstanding! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Please be nice, sit up straight, don't mumble, be kind to animals and your family.